- 2 slices whole-wheat bread (1 oz)
- 1 head broccoli (1 lb), cut into florets, stems peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 ozs whole-wheat fusilli pasta
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion (5 ozs), finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 tbsps plus 1 1/2 tsps all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 4 cups skim milk
- 1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese, pureed
- 2 ozs grated parmesan cheese (1 cup)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Process bread in a food processor until fine crumbs form. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Toast for 8 minutes.
- 2. Cook broccoli in a large pot of boiling water until slightly tender, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl using a slotted spoon, reserving water in pot. Add pasta to water, and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain.
- 3. Add oil and onion to clean pot over medium heat. Saute, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 7 minutes. Add flour and ground mustard. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk in a slow, steady stream. Bring to a boil. Cook, whisking, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add cheeses and 1 teaspoon salt. Season with pepper.
- 4. Stir in broccoli and pasta. Transfer to six 1 1/2-cup ramekins or an 8 1/2-by-11-inch baking dish; top with breadcrumbs. Bake until bubbling and tops are browned, 25 to 30 minutes.