- 1 cup blueberries, washed and dried
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick-cooking or steel-cut)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Grease one loaf pan.
- Toss the berries with 1/4 cup of the flour. This will help
- in the batter.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining flour, oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. In separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Add the liquids to the dry ingredients and stir gently until you see no more dry flour. Fold the blueberries into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, rotating the pan partway through. The loaf is done when the top is puffed and dry, and when a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the loaf cool in the pan for 10 minutes before unmolding. Allow it to cool at least 20 minutes before slicing. The loaf will keep on the counter in an airtight container for several days or it can be frozen for up to three months.